Saturday, January 30, 2010

To Overwhelm or Not

Sometimes we need to make decisions, to choose, we simply cannot do it all and have it all. I am taking my Intensive Italian & Intensive French classes, so I decided that since I am at the campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays already, why not take a couple of other classes that seem interesting.

I am thinking of taking an Ethics class, and a History class. Both of these are intensive writing classes, and each had about 7-8 books of required reading. I will think about this option during this week end. I definitely love the 2 classes while I am sitting in them, however, the amount of work will be overwhelming at best.

I will need to weigh the pros and cons, and I will have to make s decision about these classes by February 7th. If I decide to take these classes, I will need to become extremely efficient in all that I do, and I will need to simply pare back all that I do.

I am tempted by the challenge. Sometimes I hate when I get this way, all ambitious, and curious, and eager.  Taking on too much is the kiss of death for a happy life. Then I am doing a lot, but doing absolutely nothing with any degree of relative consciousness, or percision.

On the other hand, sometimes being over jammed with "must do" things to do, and deadlines, makes me much more efficient, and completely eliminates procrastination. For me procrastination is sometimes a derivative of a certain degree of boredom, and unfocused "spare time." I create overwhelm, by putting off to tomorrow what I should do today.

There is a fine line between a rich and full life, where I feel engaged,challenged, and thriving, and a life of the crazies lived in constant overwhelm mode.

By the way, how is taking these classes even come close to being "frugal?" Good question. Well, I am lucky that my work offers a very generous education package, they pay 100% for the classes. So at least while I am in class and in the subsequent writing, reading, and thinking frenzie, I'll not be spending money.

No comments: