Monday, January 18, 2010

When plans go Bad

My chicken dinner at Josh's ended up having to wait till Sunday night. By the time I made it to his place, it was too late to cook, we had plans to meet up with other friends in town, and dinner had to be taken en restaurant. I had a most delicious Pad Thai, actually much better than usual, super tangy, Josh had a Vietnamese pork and veggies. Later at the venue where we went to listen to music, we shared a rich yet fluffy cheese cake. Josh paid for everything so I have not blown my spending plan.


Sunday I ended up making my chicken dinner, and since I forgot a couple of the ingredients, I completely improvised with what was on hand. In place of white wine I used tequila and skipped the onions all together. I swear  it was even better than the original recipe.  Next time I make it I will take photos and post the recipe here. Quick, easy, and tastes like it was complex and involved.


Today my plan had been to make 3 meals for the week, and do some needed de-cluttering and organizing. I woke to friends unexpectedly knocking on my door, so instead of cooking, I opted to hang out and be a hostess. Hopefully I will not succumb to eating in the cafe at work.


Ok - here's my anti-cafe  Plan for this week's lunches:
  • tuna sandwiches
  • ham sandwiches
  • fried egg sandwiches
  • oranges/ bananas/ greek yogurt/ kefir


Sandwiches are not my ideal lunch, but they are an acceptable go to when my schedule does not permit making fork and knife dishes.


For our dinners this week I've selected all quick fix meals. I need to use some of my after work time to catch up on the organizing and decluttering. Each meal takes no more than 1/2 hour, some take less than 15 minutes to prepare. I LOVE having an arsenal of easy go to meals for busy or general under the weather weeks, or for when the best laid plans redesign themselves.


Here is my plan:
  • Monday - left over soup
  • Tuesday - shrimp mozambique w' brown rice and sauteed spinach
  • Wednesday - salmon patties w' cucumber and Greek yogurt side
  • Thursday - flat bread pizza
  • Friday - pork empanadas w' marinated avocado and tomatoes
  • Saturday - lobster served with sweet potato fries & bearnaise sauce
  • Sunday - Portuguese boiled dinner
Later tonight, if I feel the inclination, I will throw some dried peas into the crock pot along with a couple of bratwurst. Then at least I'll have a soup to go with my dry sandwiches the rest of the week for lunch. I will not succumb to the cafe.

No comments: