Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti


Watching the footage of the natural disaster in Haiti, I quickly became filled with a sense of grief. We need to help however we are able to. My company has organized a fund drive, and they will match our donations, so for me this is the best place to give.

In additon to the devastation, I am struck by the poverty, and by the beauty and warmth in the Hatian people's faces, their eyes speak so much.

I've traveled all over the world, so abject poverty is not foreign to me. But we can so easily get lost living in our life of affluence, because, the poorest of us here in America seem quite affluent by comparison to the Hatians. More and more I am questioning whether I need or even want the level of "lifestyle" we (our family) have.

Little by little I am chipping away at it, hopefully over time, I will hone our lives to become the simplest of perfections. At the moment, juxtaposed against what I've been watching, so much of what we have feels like completely unappreciated waste. I feel like disposing of it all in one sweep, but this is not practical. is it?

We shall see.

No comments: